Tuesday, January 13, 2004

I worked again today, this time doing a freelance gig. It's amazing how much better a job seems if you're given a Mac, access to the Internet, and Photoshop. Not to mention decent pay. The job is fairly mundane and boring but just because I'm sitting at a computer, doing extremely basic stuff with images, and get to surf the Web, it's okay. Anything's better than putting labels on things and getting my hands carved up by manila folders.

The job is in Fisherman's Wharf, which is a pretty weird place to work. I can't find a decent deli or coffee shop, but there's plenty of places where I can buy an "Alcatraz Swim Team" sweatshirt or "I Love San Francisco" t-shirt. What's also weird about it is that while I pretty much know my way around every other place in the city, I don't know anything about Fisherman's Wharf. It maybe the biggest tourist spot in the city where I've lived for the past twelve years, but I'm as lost as any tourist from Iowa down there. I actually got lost on my way to work this morning.

I got the job interviewing for another job there. The job I interviewed for was one of those weird jobs where they were looking for somebody who did not only graphics, not only database work, and not only print production, but sales too. This despite the fact that there are people who do graphics and people who do sales but never the twain shall meet. Graphics People and Sales people spend most of their time at offices glaring at one another- sales people glare at graphics people for not being able to crank out stupendous masterpieces at the drop of a hat and graphics people glare back at salespeople for making them work. I was tempted by the job, but as I am in no way a salesperson, I told them it wasn't for me. When I entered the office this morning, I realized that if I would have gotten the job, not only would I have gotten an office, but one with a huge window that overlooks the Bay. Maybe I should of said I could do sales.

The other thing about the job is that it's one of those "could end tomorrow, could end months later" type job. It's supposedly to do a couple week's worth of work, but as I kicked butt today, I'm thinking I might be out of there sooner. Which leaves me with this Catch-22: work my ass off and be done with it next week or drag it out and stick around for the two to three weeks I need to stay there to pay the bills. And supposedly if I do a really good job and they have the work for me, they might keep me on board for awhile. Or then again, maybe they won't.

No comments: