Sunday, January 11, 2004

Wrote this earlier last week but didn't post it due to being to tired to work on it. Also, not sure it was really that entertaining (and as we know, everything posted on here is entertaining). Anyways, I'm posting it now, for reasons that'll become clear towards the end.

I haven't listened to the radio in a long, long time, but now that I'm working, I'm listening to it again. Surprisingly, Live 105 (the "alternative" modern rock stations) is actually listenable again. Of course, this could because they're mainly playing songs that are around 10 years old, but still, I was impressed. Nice variety (everything from the Cure's "Fascination Street" to Stone Temple Pilot's "Trippin' On a Hole In a Paper Heart" to new White Stripes) and they played no Limp Bizkit, Korn, or any generic Woe Is Me (Emo?) band. Most amazingly, they've stopped playing the same songs over and over again. Hell, I even heard them play the Sex Pistols.

What this means, I don't know. It did seem awfully strange that they were emphasizing older stuff and not newer stuff. After all, the whole point of an "Alternative" radio station is to play new stuff (as opposed to what it's really supposed to be, playing music that's an "alternative" to everything else, but can anyone really say Blink-182 is an alternative to anything?). Anyways, what this means could be one of three things.

1)Live 105 seems to be giving up on the Gen Y and going after Gen X. So much for "Modern Rock."

2)There's a new format out there, featuring primarily songs from the "hey day" of Alternative Music, the late 80's and 90's. Call it "Classic Alternative" (would that make Classic Rock, "Classic, Classic Rock?")

3)Even the kids today realize that most new rock music sucks.


So today I checked out the New York Times and discovered that I'm right. There is a new format out there. Classic Alternative is now the thing. And if I had only posted it last week, y'all would be amazed once again at my perceptive wonders.

Does this mean that "Under the Bridge" is our "Stairway" and "Alive" our "Freebird?" Will Soundgarden release a new member with only Kim Thayil and a Chris Cornell sound-alike that Kim discovered in a Gap? And will Dave Navarro cheese out and do a reality show with some ex-Baywatch Babe that makes you reconsider if Jane's Addiction was really that cool to begin with?

As a card-carrying member of Gen-X, one who did his fare share of flannel wearing in mosh pits, all I can say is meh. As someone once said " You glorify the past/When the future dries up. I...I believe in love." What the "I believe in love" part has to do with anything, I don't know, but whatever. You get my point.

Did like listening to Live 105, though.

No comments: