Thursday, January 08, 2004

Temp Job, Day III:

I calculated that today I affixed labels to around 140 folders. In an eight hour day, that's about 17 and a half folders an hour or, if you want to get really specific, two and a half folders per playing of the Scorpions "Still Loving You." Somehow, I get this feeling I should be doing more as the task isn't that difficult, but what are you going to do about it? Maybe I'd do more if I wasn't spending so much time flipping through the radio dial in search of something to listen to.

I'm starting to realize just how much my stupid ex-boss got to me. This morning, when my supervisor looked through a stack of folders I had done and (naturally) found one of the few I had messed up on, I was half expecting her to call a quick ten minute meeting to give me a complete breakdown of everything I did wrong over the past couple of days, followed by a "shape or ship out" speech. Or I was half-expecting her to slam her fist down on her desk and exclaim "Oh My God!!!" in utter incredulousness at my inability to put the stickers in perfect alignment (my ex-boss actually did that one time, after over-hearing something I said to a vendor over the phone. For the rest of the time I was there, I'd either make phone calls to vendors when she wasn't around or got so paranoid talking on the phone while she was there that I couldn't even say "hi this is…. " without nervously glancing over at her).

I started to think during the day, what if I wasn't really doing this that well? The stickers were coming off, I missed stickers on a few of them, and I noticed that between 51-800 & 51-900 I missed about half of the folders, making me wonder what else I missed. Was it just those few that I messed up on, a mere few out of hundreds, or was I sucking? And if I was seriously screwing up sticking labels on hundreds of folders, is it a measure of my being a total fuck-up or my being totally sane?

No comments: