Friday, March 12, 2004

Here's more signs of the crapiness of today's economy-

I haven't been able to get through to the Unemployment people all week. Everytime I call, I always get a message saying that they've the maximum amount of callers they can handle and that you should try back later. That's always a good sign that we got a robust economy.

Today I finally get through to someone. When I mention that I got laid off from a magazine, the guy on the other end of the line tells me he was working in publishing and he got laid off last year too and the only work he was able to get was with the Unemployment Office. Except that now they've cut all their hours (which is part of the reason why it's so hard to reach anyone) and are about to lay off a bunch of people.

Which makes sense, if you think about it. Because what better Government Agency to downsize in the midst of a high unemployment rate than the Unemployment people. Cause, you know, nobody needs to deal with Unemployment then.

You know, though, that getting laid off from Unemployment is kind of funny only in that you get to see you're collecting unemployment from Unemployment.

No comments: