Wednesday, March 17, 2004

I apologize for not having too much to post. I'm tired, it's hot in here (to all you East Coast readers, it is indeed in the 80's here and while it's fabulous, it would be nice to get a few breezes going at night so I can sleep better), and doing data entry all day is killing me.

I do appreciate the temp job. I have nothing really bad to say about it. The money's reasonably good, the place is pretty kickback, Live 105 is listenable again (that Yeah Yeah Yeahs song "Maps" rocks. Hard) my supervisor is a nice guy, and, most importantly, I figured out how to get Internet access so I can check e-mail all day. But it's still kind of killing me. First of all, if anyone asks, a laptop is not the easiest computer to do data entry with. It actually kind of sucks. It's way too small and has no 10-key section. And it would help if there were any desire to be ergonomic. This maybe because I just don't know any better, but my guess is that while laptops are way cool, they're not exactly ergonomically sound. There's no lift, no height to them.

There are actually two main components to my job. The first is to create this huge database and do commission reconciliation. It's actually kind of fun. Not only do I get ownership of the database ("hey, let's change the bar from a blue fill color to an orange!") but it actually involves some thinking. As I've done some accounting before, I'm also fairly convinced that accounting is pretty frickin' easy. Why one has to spend years studying it when Excel spreadsheets do it all for you I'll never know. It is kind of strange, however, that the temp is explaining to the Sales Director how to read the sales reports and how to do the reconciliation.

But the problem with that task is that my supervisor is way too busy to give me direction. He's either on the phone or in meetings. So to make sure I have work to do, he's given me a whole bunch of make-work type things to do. The make-work consists of taking old, 20-30 page long spread sheets and re-enter them into the computer because the original files had been lost. I'm pretty sure those tasks weren't why I was hired, but the guy figured that he needed somebody to do them and since I was there, I'm doing them now. The thing is that he's given me so many spreadsheets to do that I could conceivably be there for months, just typing away. Which is all well and good and I'd be okay with it happening (it is a nice play to temp), but, well, see above about lap tops and data entry.

No comments: