Wednesday, March 10, 2004

I stuffed envelopes today for eight hours. It was fun.

Seriously.

You can't imagine how painful it is to stuff envelopes for eight hours. My back is killing me for sitting there the whole day, my shoulders are killing me for taking that little liquid thingamabobber to over 1000 envlopes to seal it shut, and my brain is fried from the sheer mundanacity of it all. We’re talking big fun here people.

Thing is there's no Temp Jobs out there at all. Every temp company has too many temps and not enough work. There's a lot of reasons to explain it- suck ass economy *cough*- but one of the reasons is that a lot of companies down want to throw down the $20-$25 per hour for someone to stuff envelopes (that includes not only the temps salary, but the agency fee).

So I was thinking that in light of this issue, we office temps need to do what migrant workers do. We should get all gussied up in our professional office garb, go early in the morning to some designated spot in the Financial District, and wait for some HR person to drive by and pick us up for a day's work, under the table of course.

I think I'm on to something here….

No comments: