Tuesday, September 03, 2002

Here it comes…..

Wait for it…..

It's More Fear and Loathing on the Job Hunting Trail!

Tomorrow (Wednesday) is a huge day. Huge. Yet another super-huge, I'm -gonna-be-fucked-if-I-don't-get-this-job interviews. Really fucked. For added pressure, I have to get a job so I can yell "In your face! In your face!" to my disbelieving "you'll never get a job in SF" parents.

The interview is with the place I mentioned earlier, the place where I know one of the people who works there. Not only that, I think she's actually gonna be part of the interview tomorrow. While this sounds great, I haven't had great luck in interviewing with people I know. It's the whole trying to look really serious and professional in front of someone who I've been drunk with thing. In this case, it'll be even harder, because not only have we seen each other drunk, but drunk at a Halloween party. So I'll be sitting there, trying to look all professional and responsible in front of her while trying to not remember her in her Baby Spice costume. And she'll probably be sitting there, trying to see me as professional and responsible all the while seeing me in my Halloween costume that year- a Rabbi. Which maybe might not be such a bad thing.

Then there's the other problem in interviewing with people who know you, the whole bullshitting thing. Because what is a job interview other than bullshitting left and right? Only this time, I'm gonna be bullshitting in front of someone who might be able to know. It's not like I can say "oh yeah, I did this kind of stuff at that job" mainly because she might know. And I might not be able to say "yes, I'm a really dedicated worker and work all the time and take my job really seriously" when, well, didn't I mention we used to hang out in each other cubicle's when we were bored and compare stories about Amsterdam? And those stories had nothing to do with the Anne Frank House or the Art Museum.

To add to the fun, it's also the same as my Fantasy Football Draft. Which'll mean that all day, my mind will be whirring on two different levels. So while I need to be thinking up things like "yes, I used to coordinate with our part-time Engineer in doing Flash Animation projects for my Web site" all day, part of my head will be thinking up things like "Peter King did say Javon Walker and Brett Favre have a thing going, but the books say first year Wide Receiver's have a tough time learning the West Coast offense, but on the other hand, the two receivers in front of Walker are mediocre at best and Terry Glenn is known to be either fragile or have problems putting down the pipe."

See, it's all about focusing and mult-tasking. And I can't get a Project Coordinator type position…..

No comments: