Tuesday, September 17, 2002

So yeah, I didn't get the ad agency job. Now, of course, comes the always fun post-job rejection analysis. It's like a football post-game that goes on in your head afterwards: "and, BOOM, here's where he should have said this instead of that. And look at that shirt, BOOM, that cost him. Let's go to the replay, Bob."

Of course, I could ask the woman why I didn't get the job. That's all part of the job looking course. I'm not, however, a big fan of doing that. First of all, I doubt the woman wants to deal with it. Second of all, I've already been rejected, and don't feel like being kicked around some more. And finally, I just don't like to.

Basically, you get the same sort of response that you get if someone rejects you. There's a whole bunch of reasons, some of them real some of them complete bollocks, and most of them are stuff you don't want to know.

Usually, you'll hear the pat response, the "I just don't want to ruin our friendship" or "I don't want to date anyone from work" line. These are kind of the bullshit responses by someone who just wants to be nice and doesn't want to deal with anything more detailed. They're totally useless and or totally frustrating because it makes you wonder that much more.

Sometimes, you do get the truth. This can be a good thing or it could be a bad thing, but in both instances, it could be kind of painful. I can't handle the truth.

The best kind of response is helpful, accurate response. These responses do hurt, but at least they give you a sense of what you did wrong so you can do better next time. Typical of these responses are things like "you came on too strong and scared me off" or "I just don't feel like you really hear what I say." Lesson learned.

On the other hand, sometimes the truth isn't helpful at all. In fact, sometimes the truth makes you want to do nothing but drink heavily and listen to Nirvana. What I mean by this is when you hear things like "I'm sorry, but I've been sleeping with my roomate for the past six months and I think I'm in love even though it's a really fucked-up relationship" or "you have yellow teeth." There's no good in hearing those responses.

And no, these things did not happen to me, I'm just making them up as something that would be awful to hear. Besides, yellow teeth is a common dental thing and doesn't really mean anything and a lot of people have yellowish teeth and it's a totally stupid reason not to go to a dance with someone.

No comments: