Monday, September 23, 2002

I've talked about the whole powerlessness of unemployment, of how you're at the beckon call of the potential job to be. That if they want you to stand up on a desk and do a chicken dance in the middle of the interview, you have to. You have no hand. You are their bitch. So I have to bail on my Temp job? Or bail on my softball game? Or take an hour and a half-long train ride only be dicked around for a fifteen minute interview. There is no part of your life that can't be affected by the looking for work.

But tomorrow, tomorrow, it's serious. The place that I was supposed to meet with over the weekend is treading on sacred ground, making me consider sacrifice something I'd never ever think about sacrificing.

Tomorrow, my interview is set for late in the day, 6 o'clock in Brisbane, which is a half-an-hour to an hour commute. The interview could last for an hour or more and if I don't hit the bus right, it could take me another hour just to get home. Which means that yes, there is a chance I'll have to miss the season premiere of Buffy.

I better get this fucking job.

Oh yeah, it gets even better- drug test, baby! Which is ironical for so many reasons. Like how it's for a company that makes stereo components. Or like how they have special rooms set up where people can listen to music and check out how the stereo's sound. Or like how they have posters from the old Fillmore up everywhere. Or like how the employers that I have seen running around all look like they've done some time at Burning Man. I mean, drug testing people in the Bay Area is a joke to begin with because the amount of people who don't occasionally do some kind of drugs is up there with the same amount of people who are actually Republican (and even most of them smoke too).

And of course there's my predicament. Let's just say that if I had to take the test tomorrow, I'd probably come close to failing. The irony there is that I'm kind of on the wagon right now. And plain old ironic because there's the whole proportion thing, that while today I might have small traces of certain green, leafy things in my system, if they would have tested like ten years ago or so, my piss would be pretty much bongwater.

I wonder, could I use that as an argument? Like, "well, you could like at it like I proved positive for marijuana use, or you could look at it like it shows I don't do Wake & Bakes anymore."

No comments: