Friday, September 20, 2002

It's been quite a few months in the music world. First we get actual new Springsteen (not bad), new Chilli Peppers (so far so good), new U2 (alright), new Stones (ickity ick) and I even heard new Pearl Jam (what the fuck happened to them?). And somewhere along the way, in a month or so, we'll here the infamous never-been-released Nirvana song that caused all that ruckus. But none of that- none of that- compares to what I heard a couple of days ago. This is even bigger than Springsteen, bigger than U2, even bigger than the Nirvana tunes- new Boston.

Yep, the Bone is playing the new Boston tune.

And I'm sure you're all wondering the same two things- are they still around and why?

Anyways, I hate to admit, but I love that Sheryl Crow song, "Steve McQueen." How could you not love a song that not only name checks Steve McQueen but has a "woo-hoo" in the chorus? I know I'm not supposed to like the song 'cause it is Sheryl Crow and, well, does anyone like her? And does anyone know anyone who likes her? I mean really, really likes her? She's one of those artists whose just there, just existing. In a lot of ways, her career should have been way over after that God awful "All I Want to Do" song, but somehow it's not. Her songs are still getting played. Yet if she disappeared from the music scene, I don't think anybody would notice (and yeah, I actually like a couple of her other songs too, like that "Everyday is a Winding Road" song or "My Favorite Mistake."

And yes, I really dig "Steve McQueen." The problem with the song though is that it makes the same mistake a lot of songs these days have. With electronica the big hip thing and hip-hop still reigning supreme, a lot of artists who have no business doing so have to add some sort of electronic blip and bleep just to seem au courant. "Steve McQueen" has way too many blips and bleeps and it kind of takes the fun out of the song. It's just a plain old, simple, rock n' roll tune that needs to be done as such. It needs to be taken out for a drive in a muscle car by some kicking rock band. Instead, it kind of lurches and sputters and hiccups with all sorts of trendy sounds. If it weren't for the catnip chorus, the song would be kind of eh, but the chorus is so good that you forgive the fact that the rockin' lick is totally mangled by a computer.

But why, oh why, is Sheryl doing this? And not just her, there's plenty of other bands/artists that are doing it now too, although I can't think of any off the top of my head. Most of them too are artists who could never seem hip to save their life, but still feel like they have to do something to seem hip. Like Sheryl Crow. She couldn't get played on MTV even if she went on TRL Live and blew Carson Daly. Yet they're all doing it, all adding those samples and drum machines and little DJ sounds and just stop it.

No comments: