Saturday, September 21, 2002

So my fellow droogies, what are you doing on this fine, beautiful Saturday afternoon?

I am, of course, inside my apartment- the Fortress of Solitude- writing today's Blog entry. This, however, wasn't exactly the plan for the day. I was actually supposed to be playing softball all day, but wound up having to bail because I had something bigger and more important to do. I had a job interview. Yes, a job interview on a Saturday.

But guess what? The job interview, of course, was cancelled. And that's why I'm sitting here in my apartment, this beautiful Saturday afternoon, listening to Ratt's "Lay It Down" and reading the fine story on Buffy's major domo, Joss Whedon, in the New York Times (this next week, is of course, All About Buffy as it's not only the season premiere, but on Monday, F/X is airing my favorite episode, the brilliant, Lynchian masterpiece of a TV show- "Restless.")

The fun just doesn't stop.

Now, you might be wondering why is it I'm having an interview on a Saturday. Saturday is not a day for a job interview. Saturday is the weekend, a day of rest, the Lord's Sabbath. That is a long story.

See, it's all about the craziness that happened with last Thursday's interview. To make a long story short, I had a late interview Thursday afternoon and showed up only to discover that one of the people I was supposed to meet had already left and the other one was in a meeting with the Big Boss. Turns out they had tried to cancel the meeting on me, but since I had already left when they called to cancel I missed it (believe it or not, I actually don't have a cell phone). It's all a huge, big miscommunication and just one of those things (whatareyougonnadoaboutit?), but still kind of a pisser. There is nothing, though, that sucks-ass quite like walking in to a place for an interview only to find out everyone was gone. Did I screw up? Did they screw up? And most importantly, could more shit happen to me? As I sat in the lobby and watched the sun go down, all I could do was sit there and try and keep my shit together. No matter what, I had to be as calm and positive as possible, fighting off all urge to either destroy the lobby piece by piece or break down into a huge, sobbing mess.

In an odd sort of way, though, it all worked out. I wound up meeting not with the two people I was supposed to meet with, but with the person who I was supposed to meet with if I got past the other two people. So I kind of skipped to the head of the line, got passed the gate-keepers, in a way. And not only that, I maintained. I got my groove on and gave one of my best performances. So much so, he loved me and told the person whom I was supposed to meet with that he gave me the thumbs up.

The other thing that worked out for me is that they actually felt bad for me and wanted to make it up to me. Or so they acted that way and I'll pretend to believe it because I like living in that world. Ever since, they have been totally nice to me and went out of their way to arrange for an interview with me on a Saturday afternoon.

I was actually okay with an interview today. I was looking forward to it. First of all, I got to choose where and when and got to pick a coffee shop in my neck of the woods. I was gonna take the power back. More importantly, it would meanty that all of this stuff would be taken care of quicker and the quicker this whole saga is over with, the better. This is especially true now because I'm facing two deadlines- probably getting the job in Sunnyvale that I don't really want but probably have to take and also knowing that if I don't get that I have to leave my beloved City by the Bay for home.

But it didn't happen.

She couldn't make it. Too busy. Got the "really sorry and I hope it doesn't inconvenience you too much." No, I just went to bed really early, bailed on a softball game and spent all morning all stressed out, but other than that it's no big deal. Now the interview is gonna be rescheduled for either late next Tuesday or early Wednesday.

All of which means more of everything that's been going on. More insomina, more stress, more not being able to go out because I'm broke, more fighting off my parents to come home, and more of all this fucking crap that is the fucking crap of unemployment. And all I want to happen is for it to end. Is that too much to ask out of life?

Oh, there was another thing about my almost interview today. When I went over to the place on Thursday, I got that definite "we're not just a company, we're a cult" kind of vibe from them. Everyone had company provided cell-phones with which they used like walkie talkies and were constantly walkie talkie-ing with each other. Then there's the the fact that the boss's office overlooked the entire office where he could watch everything through a huge fish tank (shades of the Real World). Mainly, it was because of how the guy I interviewed with kept on referring to the head of the company with cute nicknames. He'd also talk about how the Big Boss man likes to run things and used phrases along the lines of "Fearless Leader doesn't like to take no for an answer" or "Fearless Leader likes to set goals and have everyone meet them." The fact that somebody was willing to drive all the way into my hood to have an interview with me on a Saturday further gave me that cult vibe. I mean, I'm sure she'd rather do other stuff than drive all they cross SF to meet me in a Starbucks, but she gladly said she'd be up for it.

See what I mean?

No comments: