Monday, September 08, 2003

Another day, another interview. This time the 2nd round, for an advertising agency. The first interview went well, really well, maybe too well. I was feeling really good about it, actually, until this weekend when I realized that the job was so good and so perfect and so timely that, of course, something would go wrong.

Get to the interview not in that perfect "how ya' doin'" interview mode, but decent enough. To get myself psyched up, I try and recall the music from "Rocky" in my head. After all, if Rocky can go the distance, so can I.

The interview takes place in the lounge area, on these huge sofa's in the middle of everything. I'm supposed to meet first with the Creative Director and then the Art Director. After waiting around for awhile, I meet up with the Art Director. He hasn't seen my resume, doesn't really know what the job is for, and barely asks any questions. So, I do what I can, try and go through my schpiel as if he's prompting me. The interview is over in a couple of minutes. He says "great" and walks off.

Second interview begins a few minutes later. Not with the Creative Director, but with one of the artists. He has my resume, but isn't used to interviewing people. We talk a bit, just talking biz and the ins and outs of the industry. He runs out of things to ask me about as he doesn't know what the plan is so he goes on and on about what he's looking for and the pitfalls of his job. Finally, the person whose hiring me comes by. She just quickly tells me that I won't be meeting the Creative Director at all, for reasons unclear, and that's it for the day.

As we leave, she gives me the "don't call me, we'll call you routine."

Huh?

How could I go from a first interview that ended with her saying "great, I love your attitude and your experience" to "we'll let you know." What did I say? Considering that the two people I interviewed with didn't know how they were supposed to interview me, let alone know how to interview me, how could I say something wrong with one of them? Was my outfit too grubby? Did I miss a spot while shaving?

The whole experience was like going out on a date and everything's fine and good and you're thinking you're onto something and then right in the middle of the fun, the date looks at her watch and says "I have to get up early the next morning and I'm really tired, so…." And just like those dates, my carefully laid plans- my game- is totally off do the whole thing huh-ness of it all. I leave without a clue as to what's going on or what to expect. All I leave with is a sick feeling in my stomache.

….I can't believe I'm writing about this shit again……

No comments: