Tuesday, September 30, 2003

Some people have their Kumbaya moments at a political rally. Other folks have their Kumbaya moments while mountain biking. And other people have their Kumbaya moments, well, singing Kumbaya somewhere in the woods. Me, I get my Kumbaya moment waving my orange rally hanky to the strains of "Hell's Bells" as the Giants take the field for Game 1 of the Division Series. Yee-ha.

I actually had some trepidation about going today only because of what happened last year, when everytime I went they lost and all the games I didn't go to were epic, Giants victories. If I went, I thought I'd probably just jinx the Giants. Then I realized that my friend who invited me was one of those people who went to all the epic games and other friends who went to all the epic games were going too, so just maybe, maybe, they're luck would overwhelm my luck. Looks like it did. It's the first time I've been to a playoff game in which the home team won since seeing a Phils playoff game way back in the mid-to-late 70's at the Vet (R.I.P). And even then the Phillies lost most of the time I went.

Man, watching your team win is so much more fun than watching them lose.

Few more things….

PS- Can we please stop it with the "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch? Please? We already do the National Anthem and it's been over two years since 9/11. Between those two songs, the jet planes flying over the field, and the American flag on all the uniforms, it's just a tad too much on the overkill side. Especially when you consider half the people playing are all from elsewhere. And talk about buzz kills. Everyone's ready to do some stretching and some Take- Me-Out-to-the-Ballgameing but instead we have take off our hats and listen to some opera singer go all Mariah Carey on a patriotic song.

PPS- Barry Bonds is 39 years old, has a beaten up body, and won't get pitched too. So he stole a base today. He is the daddy-mack of daddy-mack's.

No comments: