Thursday, September 11, 2003

When do you know the Temp Agency you just signed up for probably is not going to get you any Temp gigs? When you go into the office and notice that the huge office space is mainly full of empty desks.

Back to the Wonderful World of Temping. Or, at least, signing up to Temp. Which means test after test after test to prove that you can do what you've done a good job of poofing up on your resume. So sit right down, spend a couple hours and do some Word, Excel, and typing tests.

These tests aren't as easy as you'd think. I use Word for Mac at home. The tests are all on PC. And there's so many different versions of Windows out there that while I'm pretty good at Windows 98, the test could be in XP. Or it could be in Windows 95. So you sit there and say "I know this" and go up looking for a button or pull-down menu only to discover that it's not on that version. Or that it's a brand new thing they've added to Word that you've never even heard of before and have to try and guess. Luckily, Word (and Excel) is pretty idiot proof, but you have two chances to get it right, if not you get dinged. Click on the wrong thing by accident- blammo, you got a wrong answer.

Today's test fun was extra fun because the Temp Person (er, "Staffing Consultant") hooked me up to the ergonomic keyboard. And all this after bragging about my prowess in typing and 10-key so now I really have to preform. I've never really used an ergonomic keyboard before, especially while being tested, and it's not quite as easy to do as you'd think. You'd move your finger to where you're sure the B is, for instance, and wind up hitting nothing but keyboard. And since everything's kind of slanted, everything isn't where it's supposed to be. When you're being time-tested, this kind of sucks.

Because I'm an idiot, I didn't say anything and suffered through it. Which actually turned out to be a good thing. My scores were pretty damn good, but when I told the "Staffing Consultant," a jittery tall women who has a "Most Improved Staffing" Award featured predominately on her desk, that I used the ergonomic keyboard, all she could say was "wow!" What can I say, I'm fucking good at typing.

One day, I hope, I'll be able to impress someone with something other than my mad typing skills.

No comments: