Tuesday, September 16, 2003

I went to the Unemployment Office for my "personal review" session. Turns out it was a group thingy, held for all the wretched refuse of the bad economy. There was white collar types and blue collar types, kids fresh out of school and people in their 50's, white hipsters and immigrants. And it was going to be much longer than I thought it would be.

I thought it would be one of those in/out nobody gets hurt type things. Thought I'd be able to get out of there in a snap. Nope, it was an hour long discussion on how to find a job. I know this stuff. I've lived this stuff. I could teach the class on this stuff. I haven't eaten lunch, I'm bored out of my skull, and I forgot to set my VCR to watch "Pardon the Interruption" and it was looking like I'd miss it.

By looking around, I could tell I wasn't the only one thinking that way. The women sitting across from me doodled. The woman sitting next to me wrote her to-do list. And we just might have been able to get out of there early except for one guy- he wanted to talk. He sat there and asked questions. He made comments. He told a story about how one of the Unemployment Offices used to be a Sears Store. And he wouldn't shut up. Everytime the person who was running the thing said something, the person would make a comment. I wanted to yell at him to shut the hell up. Nobody wanted to be there, nobody wanted to hear him, yet he just yabbered away, holding everyone else hostage to his love of his own voice.

I hate those people.

No comments: