Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Many people are wondering how I spend all of my time now that I am once again unemployed. For all of those curious people out there, here is a dairy of my day-

8:00- wake up to the phone ringing. Somebody has been calling me every morning at 8 for the past week but not leaving a message. Have a feeling it's Bank of America calling to remind me to pay my credit card bill.
8:00-9:00- Spend an hour in bed watching TV. I flip between the news, last night's "Sportscenter," and "Dawson's Creek" re-runs. I notice that there's so many big stories going on that Fox spends half of their news segments just showing that particular story's logo and theme music.
9:00- Get out bed, flip on some shorts and sandals and get the paper
9:15- Get back into bed to read the paper. This is usually the highlight of my day.
10:00- check e-mail. Notice that it looks like I'm being blown off by some woman I've been out on a couple of dates with. Make mental notice that "I'll talk to you soon" is short-hand for "I don't think you ready for this jelly…."
10:15- Read through all my Web sites and articles, seeing if the suck-ass performance of my first round pick in my Fantasy Football draft, Donovan McNabb, was a fluke or harbinger. Looking like a harbinger.
10:47- Think about doing something with my day, can't think of anything.
11:00- Get back into bed to read/watch TV
11:30- Get phone call telling me that one of the job's I interviewed for last week went to an internal candidate. Good to know that I spent all that time, effort, and energy for a job I had no hope for from the beginning.
11:35- Think about maybe getting up and making something out of the day
11:37- Start reading in bed again.
12:00- Check e-mail. Nothing. Check with Slate and Salon to see if they've posted something new.
12:15- Go back to bed to read/watch TV
12:30- Bored, I decide it's time to take a shower
1:00- Shower over, go back to bed to read/watch TV
1:30- Bored, I decide to make lunch
1:45- Get back into bed
2:00-3:00: Watch "Around the Horn" and "Pardon the Interruption." Another highlight of the day. I watch this in bed
3:00- Decide to do something with my day and make a few job-related phone calls.
3:05- Get back into bed to watch the early "Sportscenter"
3:30- Check e-mail. Get "I really like you as a friend…" e-mail
3:33- Get back into bed to finish watching "SportsCenter." Start to think about what I should do tonight. Can't think of anything.
3:56- Phone rings. I answer. It's an automated message from BofA telling me I haven't paid my credit card bill.
4:00- 4:30- Check e-mail. Nothing.
4:30- Back into bed to do some reading
4:57- Flip on TV and notice that I missed the Buffy episode "Hush" on F/X. Make note to watch it tomorrow morning when I wake up
5:00-6:30: Watch Democratic debate on Fox News. Afterwards, I wonder if Fox decided to sponsor it just so they can bust on the Democrats afterwards.
6:30- Go take unemployment check and see how much money I have left in the world and figure out my finances for the next few weeks. It's looking pretty bleak.
6:45- Instead of figuring out finances for the next few weeks, I decide to deal with financial problems by finishing off bottle of wine
7:05- Receive phone message from someone using a cell phone. Naturally, I can't understand a word of it. At least it's not the credit card company.
7:15-10:00- Watch Giants game and read in bed
10:00-11:00- flip through channels, just killing time until the "The Daily Show" and "Tough Crowd" come on.
11:00-12:00- Watch the "The Daily Show" and "Tough Crowd"
12:00- pop sleeping pills and fall asleep.

No comments: